Victoria Park cenotaph

DP O’Keefe Macquarie Law is a legal office in Dubbo NSW Australia.

Dan O’Keefe is an experienced solicitor, accredited business law specialist, mediator and notary public.

white_tick      Providing practical, cost-effective & confidential advice.

white_tick      Come to us for a high level of service in a friendly & personal manner.

Law full news items

Sad elderElder abuse legal aid available

Legal Aid NSW has reviewed its client eligibility policies for access to legal services for people who are experiencing or at risk of elder abuse. As a result the means test, family law and civil law policies have been amended.

Legal Aid NSW Dubbo tele (02) 6885 4233 Client Eligibility Unit (02) 9219 5701 LawAccess NSW (free legal helpline) 1300 888 529

(Legal Aid NSW bulletin)

Bushfire donations - Are they tax deductible?

"Donations made to bushfire appeals will only be tax deductible where made to a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR). A DGR is a body recognised by the ATO to receive tax deductible donations."

"The National Bushfire Recovery Agency has a full list of charities with DGR status that have established appeals. A DGR should provide a receipt of the amount paid, its identification number and a statement that the donation is tax deductible."

(Leo Hollestelle Tax Specialist & Accountant)

ATO drought & bushfire assistance

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has a drought hotline to call if you require support due to the drought.

The ATO has also said it will provide support for those affected by the bushfires. This includes assistance with tax matters and time to lodge Business Activity Statements (BAS).

(Hotline 1800 806 218 & ATO website: Dealing with disasters)

Celeste Barber's bushfire appeal - What does it have to do with trust law?Fire services

Trusts arise in a number of ways. Commonly by will but they can be created during our lives, for instance, family discretionary trusts used for business and unit trusts. Superannuation funds are a particular kind of trust.

Trusts are established for a particular purpose and objects set out in a trust deed or will. A trustee you can only use the trust funds for the purposes of the trust. As a trustee you must also avoid conflicts of your own interest with those of the trust.

Celeste Barber's well-meaning bushfire fundraising appears to have encountered the limits of a trustee's powers. The fundraising clearly asked for donations to the RFS Trust, which will have limited ways of spending the money according to its trust deed. Some donors may have thought their donations could have been used in other ways as well.

(ABC News article 15 January 2020)

(Use Twitter or Facebook to watch out for our news items that might be of interest to you)

Older news items from 2019 to date

Older news items from 2016 to 2018

Older news items to 2015